The Bettermaker Bus Compressor is a modular analogue stereo bus compressor with digital controls and plug-in control.
Designed for critical tracking, mixing, and mastering work, the Bettermaker Bus Compressor delivers analog audio quality and operational flexibility that's on par with some of the most revered compressors on the market.
The Bettermaker Bus Compressor has at its core a pristine analogue signal path to ensure unmatched sound quality. Designed for critical tracking, mixing and mastering, the Bettermaker will offer performance that rivals the most revered manufacturers.
In addition to the basic Bus Compressor that gives a super clean compressor with all the usual controls such as Threshold, Attack and Release, digital controls of all the parameters and automation, the Bettermaker Bus Compressor adds specialised functions such as M/S mode, dry/wet mixing, high-pass filtering, different compressor modes and more, making it the ultimate compressor.
Bettermaker Bus Compressor Main Features:
- Advanced analog VCA compressor with PEAK/RMS detection
- All parameters are digitally controlled via front panel and/or DAW (with dedicated plug-in)
- Stereo, dual-mono and mid/side operation modes
- Sidechain highpass filter with hardware insert and preview function
- Dry/Wet Mix control for parallel compression
- Adjustable THD function for harmonically rich sound
- Range Setting for limiting the maximum amount of gain reduction
- 6 push-button encoders
- On-board measurement of Peak/RMS levels
- 100% analog audio signal path
- Total recall and A/B comparison
- USB connectivity for Mac/PC
The sound of the Compressor is of course based on the quality of its analog audio path. But all the control and user interactions are performed in the digital domain. This allows options and possibilities not found in any standard analog compressors:
- recall last unit state after reboot
- Instant reset of all parameters
- Rapid, precise and repeatable adjustments
- Precisely linked stereo operation with the ease of a single control
- DAW automation and recall of all available parameters
The digital section of the Bus Compressor is based around high speed, 32-bit micro-controller, with dedicated firmware programmed into its memory (with the possibility of updating the firmware via USB connection). It's responsible for controlling the VCA, the user interface, presets management, audio measurement, USB connectivity and other Bus Compressor functions.
The use of separate ground planes for analog and digital section results in perfect noise isolation between these two worlds. High quality switching power supply, designed by Bettermaker, was used to provide low hoise, hum free power to all analog and digital components.
- Frequency response 10Hz to 22kHz (+/- 0.2 dB)
- Dynamic range: 106dB (+23dBu, 22kHz BW)
- S/N ratio: 87dB (A-weighted, +4dBu, 22kHz BW, unity gain)
- Crosstalk: -83dB @ 1kHz, +18dBu, channel-to-channel
- CMRR: max 85 dB @ 3 kHz, min 52 dB @ 20Hz, 20 kHz BW
- THD: 2nd: < 0.06%, 3rd: < 0.01%; 4th: < 0.006%; (+4 dBu, 20-20 kHz, unity gain,THD and CLIP disabled)
- Balanced stereo input (XLR), 23dBu max input level (THD < 0.2%)
- HD: 2nd: < 0.06%, 3rd: < 0.01%; 4th: < 0.006%; (+4 dBu, 20-20 kHz, unity gain, THD and CLIP disabled)
- balanced stereo input (XLR), 23dBu max input level (THD < 0.2%)
- balanced stereo output (XLR), 23dBu max output level (THD < 0.2% into >2kohm)
- Output Impedance: 50Ω + 50Ω (electronically balanced)
- 2U enclosure, 230mm deep (Mastering Compressor)
- 1U enclosure, 230mm deep (Bus Compressor)
- Universal 100 – 240V power supply designed by Bettermaker
- Maximum power consumption: 25W
- Shipping weight: 5.5 kg (Mastering Compressor), 5 kg (Bus Compressor)
- Threshold: -35dB / +5dB (40dB range)
- Attack: 0.1 – 60 ms
- Release: 10 – 2000 ms
- Ratio: 1.5, 2, 4, 6, 10:1
- Knee: 20d